Despite A Lackluster Black Friday, Economic Fundamentals Look Good
Published Friday, November 27, 2015 at: 7:00 AM EST
With stocks closing the holiday-shortened week fractionally higher on Friday, business headlines were reporting that Black Friday sales at retailers were disappointing, leading some to worry about a slowing economy.
"America's annual Black Friday shopping extravaganza was short on fireworks this year as U.S. retailers' discounts on electronics, clothing and other holiday gifts failed to draw big crowds to stores and shopping malls," Reuters reported Friday.
"Crowds on early Black Friday morning were thinner than years past at some malls and shopping districts," The Wall Street Journal reported. "Thinner crowds could spell problems for retailers, some of whom entered the holidays warning of uneven consumer demand and elevated levels of inventory. But the smaller crowds could also reflect deeper changes in how Americans shop: Increasingly, they are spending more online and making fewer visits to stores."
- Americans Sit On A Mountain Of Cash Amid Pandemic
- For High-Income Earners And Families, Failing To Plan Is A High-Stakes Gamble
- Stocks Break Record, But Smart Money Is Focused On Taxes
- Wall Street Reacts To D.C With A 7% Weekly Gain
- On Election Eve, Here's The Economic Outlook
- Sizing Up Economic Prospects
- Two Good Economic Surprises
- October Surprise May Be The Economy
- Economic Signs Are Fine Amid The Distractions
- Poverty Rate Dropped Again In 2019; A Sign Of Progress
- Stocks Dropped Last Week But Data Confirmed Economic Recovery
- Amid A Mixed Week For Stocks, A Strong Recommendation
- Is A Stock Bubble Bursting?
- S&P 500 Breaks Record For A Second Week
- S&P 500 Breaks New Record; Small Business Picture Is Different
- As If Coronavirus Never Hit, Retail Recovers
- Confirming Recovery Is Under Way
- Despite Grim Headlines, Stocks Rose Sharply -- Why?
- The Paradigm Shift In Valuing Stocks
- Retail Sales And Housing Starts In June Reveal Recovery's Shape
- Keeping Perspective In An Unreal Environment
- Economic Fundamentals Recovering As Stocks Surged For the Week
- Stocks Swing Wildly As Economic Recovery Begins
- Dog Days Of Summer In The Economy