President Signs Historic Tax Cuts And Jobs Act; Stocks Drop A Fraction
Stock prices have soared all year, partly on expectations of a corporate tax break. The months of Washington, D.C. drama started last February 9 when President Trump promised a "phenomenal" new tax law, which was followed by a stock surge.
Since Mr. Trump's election on November 8, 2016, the Standard & Poor's 500 stock index appreciated about 25%. The spectacular rally has been underpinned by strengthening economic data month after month throughout the year, in addition to the promised tax cut. The tax cut was already reflected in stock prices by the time the President signed it. It wasn't news anymore.
The more important news affecting your wealth on Friday was that the index of leading economic indicators rose again in November. The Conference Board, which tracks the LEI monthly, said the data suggests "solid economic growth will continue into the first half of 2018."
- Small-Business Optimism Declines But Remains High
- Analysis Of New Employment, Manufacturing & Service Economy Data
- Quarter Ends Well Despite Trade War, Inverted Yield Curve & Political Crisis
- No Recession But A Slower Pace Of Growth
- Fickle Financial Headlines Brighten
- Economy Gets Bad Press Again
- Europe's Growth Problem And Your Portfolio
- Stocks Dropped 2.6% On Friday, As Reality Gap Seemed To Widen
- A Prudent Perspective On Recent Volatility
- A Tale Of Two Economies
- Amid Worries, New Equity Risk Premium Data Explained
- GDP Rose More Than Expected; Stocks Top Record Again
- Slower Growth Confirmed By June Leading Economic Indicators
- Stocks Closed At A Record High; Should You Worry?
- Amid Record Stock Prices, Fed Policy Is A Risk
- Uncle Sam Delivers A Strong Economy
- A Dramatic Pause, As Expansion Breaks Longevity Record
- The Explosion In Real Retail Sales You Never Hear About
- Amid Signs Of Weakness, Fed Reverses Course; Stocks Rally
- Three Stories Affecting Your Wealth This Week
- Buried In The Fed's Financial Stability Report, A Potential Risk To Investors
- Forget Everything You Know About Inflation
- China Trade War Sparks Fear But Not Stock Losses
- Surprisingly Good Productivity, Jobs, Inflation And Trade News