President Signs Historic Tax Cuts And Jobs Act; Stocks Drop A Fraction
Stock prices have soared all year, partly on expectations of a corporate tax break. The months of Washington, D.C. drama started last February 9 when President Trump promised a "phenomenal" new tax law, which was followed by a stock surge.
Since Mr. Trump's election on November 8, 2016, the Standard & Poor's 500 stock index appreciated about 25%. The spectacular rally has been underpinned by strengthening economic data month after month throughout the year, in addition to the promised tax cut. The tax cut was already reflected in stock prices by the time the President signed it. It wasn't news anymore.
The more important news affecting your wealth on Friday was that the index of leading economic indicators rose again in November. The Conference Board, which tracks the LEI monthly, said the data suggests "solid economic growth will continue into the first half of 2018."
- A Last-Minute Reminder To Give Wisely And Charitably
- Key Facts About Tariffs, Interest Rates, And Economic Strength
- Fed Chair Extends A Dovish Hand, Lifting Stocks
- S&P 500 Slid Last Week, As Earnings Growth Is Recalibrated
- Last Chance For Pre-Retired Professionals & Biz Owners
- Amid A Swirl Of Controversy, Fed Policy Remained Stable
- More Good Economic News On Friday
- Is Amazon Keeping The Inflation Rate Low?
- Analyzing The Market Correction
- This Week In Stocks And The Economy
- Analyzing The Risk Of Stocks After The 6.9% Drop
- Fed Chair: "We Remain In Extraordinary Times."
- With The S&P 500 Up 7.2% In 3Q18, What's Driving Stocks?
- Widespread Misinformation Follows Household Median Income Report
- Investment Wisdom At A Poignant Moment In History
- Good Economic Surprises Happening Now
- Economic Facts To Prepare For The Elections
- Another Member Of Music Royalty Dies With No Will
- Top 10 Indications The Economic Outlook Is Brighter Than Expected
- Wealth And Economic News This Week (2-Minute Read)
- 10 Things: New Education Tax Breaks For A Child Or Grandchild
- The Truth About U.S. GDP Growth
- Despite Distractions, Economic Data Boomed Last Week
- Protect Yourself Against Spearphishing