The Economic News That Did Not Make Headlines This Week
Significantly, the inflation indicator watched closely by the Fed - the personal consumption expenditure deflator - remained unchanged in January from December 2017, at 1.7%.
Meanwhile, purchasing managers at manufacturing companies reported an uptick to already strong orders. At 60.8%, the purchasing managers at manufacturing companies are reporting that activity is about as strong as it's been in over two decades.
Amid the benign inflation outlook and continued signs of economic growth, the Fed did not change plans for slow and steady rate hikes, according to Jerome Powell, the new Federal Reserve chair. In testimony before the Senate on Thursday, Mr. Powell said the Fed expected inflation to only gradually trend back toward its 2% target. At his first major public appearance since taking the helm at the Fed three weeks ago, Powell's remarks reflected the same outlook voiced by his predecessor. Since every recession of the post-World War II era was caused by a Fed policy mistake, the new Fed chair's message of a very steady monetary policy was reassuring, though it did not make big headlines.
- A Last-Minute Reminder To Give Wisely And Charitably
- Key Facts About Tariffs, Interest Rates, And Economic Strength
- Fed Chair Extends A Dovish Hand, Lifting Stocks
- S&P 500 Slid Last Week, As Earnings Growth Is Recalibrated
- Last Chance For Pre-Retired Professionals & Biz Owners
- Amid A Swirl Of Controversy, Fed Policy Remained Stable
- More Good Economic News On Friday
- Is Amazon Keeping The Inflation Rate Low?
- Analyzing The Market Correction
- This Week In Stocks And The Economy
- Analyzing The Risk Of Stocks After The 6.9% Drop
- Fed Chair: "We Remain In Extraordinary Times."
- With The S&P 500 Up 7.2% In 3Q18, What's Driving Stocks?
- Widespread Misinformation Follows Household Median Income Report
- Investment Wisdom At A Poignant Moment In History
- Good Economic Surprises Happening Now
- Economic Facts To Prepare For The Elections
- Another Member Of Music Royalty Dies With No Will
- Top 10 Indications The Economic Outlook Is Brighter Than Expected
- Wealth And Economic News This Week (2-Minute Read)
- 10 Things: New Education Tax Breaks For A Child Or Grandchild
- The Truth About U.S. GDP Growth
- Despite Distractions, Economic Data Boomed Last Week
- Protect Yourself Against Spearphishing