Trade War, Resignations, And Scandal Overshadow Rise In Leading Indicators
"The U.S. LEI accelerated further in January and continues to point to robust economic growth in the first half of 2018. While the recent stock market volatility will not be reflected in the U.S. LEI until next month, consumers' and business' outlook on the economy had been improving for several months and should not be greatly impacted," said Ataman Ozyildirim, Director of Business Cycles and Growth Research at The Conference Board. "The leading indicators reflect an economy with widespread strengths coming from financial conditions, manufacturing, residential construction, and labor markets."
On Thursday, President Trump signed a Presidential Memorandum targeting China's "economic aggression" and branded China an economic enemy.
The Standard and Poor's 500 plunged about 5.4% for the week as fears of a trade war spread, the National Security Adviser was dismissed, and scandalous new accusations surfaced about Mr. Trump's personal life and competed for headlines.
- Analyzing The Risk Of Stocks After The 6.9% Drop
- Fed Chair: "We Remain In Extraordinary Times."
- With The S&P 500 Up 7.2% In 3Q18, What's Driving Stocks?
- Widespread Misinformation Follows Household Median Income Report
- Investment Wisdom At A Poignant Moment In History
- Good Economic Surprises Happening Now
- Economic Facts To Prepare For The Elections
- Another Member Of Music Royalty Dies With No Will
- Top 10 Indications The Economic Outlook Is Brighter Than Expected
- Wealth And Economic News This Week (2-Minute Read)
- 10 Things: New Education Tax Breaks For A Child Or Grandchild
- The Truth About U.S. GDP Growth
- Despite Distractions, Economic Data Boomed Last Week
- Protect Yourself Against Spearphishing
- Even The New York Times Gets Investment Facts Wrong Sometimes
- First-Half Of 2018 Stock Investing Highlights
- U.S. Leading Indicators Growth Rate Slowed In May; Should You Worry?
- Signal To Noise Ratio Of U.S. Economy Is An Anomaly
- Father's Day Financial Tip: Put Your Kids To Work
- Is Economic Growth Sustainable?
- How The New Small Business Tax Break Phases Out
- Fed Shatters Conventional Economic Wisdom
- Four New Signs Point To Economic Strength (2-Minute Read)
- Are You Better Off Than 10 Years Ago?