Facts About The Recent Volatility And Fears Of A Trade War
Stocks soared in January, hitting new all-time highs after the tax bill was enacted and then plunged 11% from January 26 to February 8. By March 9, prices had largely recovered when President Trump slapped $50 billion of tariffs on China and fears of a trade war triggered another selloff and capped off Friday with a 2.2% plunge. For whipsawed investors, here are the straight facts.
On March 22, President Trump signed a memorandum officially targeting "China's economic aggression," and proposing $50 billion in tariffs on Chinese imports into the United States. China responded within days by imposing tariffs on the United States. On Thursday, the president added another $100 billion of proposed new tariffs on Chinese goods, triggering Friday's 2.2% selloff.
These actions followed an investigation initiated at the request of President Trump on August 18, 2017 by the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 into the government of China's acts, policies and practices related to technology transfer, intellectual property, and innovation.
- A Last-Minute Reminder To Give Wisely And Charitably
- Key Facts About Tariffs, Interest Rates, And Economic Strength
- Fed Chair Extends A Dovish Hand, Lifting Stocks
- S&P 500 Slid Last Week, As Earnings Growth Is Recalibrated
- Last Chance For Pre-Retired Professionals & Biz Owners
- Amid A Swirl Of Controversy, Fed Policy Remained Stable
- More Good Economic News On Friday
- Is Amazon Keeping The Inflation Rate Low?
- Analyzing The Market Correction
- This Week In Stocks And The Economy
- Analyzing The Risk Of Stocks After The 6.9% Drop
- Fed Chair: "We Remain In Extraordinary Times."
- With The S&P 500 Up 7.2% In 3Q18, What's Driving Stocks?
- Widespread Misinformation Follows Household Median Income Report
- Investment Wisdom At A Poignant Moment In History
- Good Economic Surprises Happening Now
- Economic Facts To Prepare For The Elections
- Another Member Of Music Royalty Dies With No Will
- Top 10 Indications The Economic Outlook Is Brighter Than Expected
- Wealth And Economic News This Week (2-Minute Read)
- 10 Things: New Education Tax Breaks For A Child Or Grandchild
- The Truth About U.S. GDP Growth
- Despite Distractions, Economic Data Boomed Last Week
- Protect Yourself Against Spearphishing