First-Half Of 2018 Stock Investing Highlights
In the first half of 2018, large-cap stocks in the Standard & Poor's 500 index eked out about a 1% gain, closing Friday at 6% less than January's all-time high.
Small-cap stocks returned 7.6% in the first half while investors who bought into TV ads for gold and silver investments were sorely disappointed with their 4.3% loss in the first six months of the year.
Also shown are the consensus forecasts of popularly-followed Wall Street strategists for each of the 10 industry sectors. The strategists' predictions were published in a December 11, 2017 issue of Barron's, a weekly financial newspaper.
- Global Growth Forecast Slows, But U.S. Outlook Remains Stable
- How Long Does It Take To Be A Long-Term Investor?
- Five Observations About The CBO's New Long-Term Debt Forecast
- Fed Apology, Strong Job Growth Bolster Stocks
- Despite Grim Headlines, Economic Growth Is Intact
- Despite December Turbulence, Economy And Business Optimism Were Strong
- Latest Forecasts Show Economy Is Doing Okay
- A Poignant Moment In Financial History Sparks Stocks