10 Things: New Education Tax Breaks For A Child Or Grandchild
1. If you have a child or grandchild, for the first time ever, you can now pay tuition for kindergarten through 12th grade at private, public or religious schools with money saved in tax-advantaged 529 college savings accounts.
2. Thanks to the Tax Cuts And Jobs Act (TCJA), you now can draw up to $10,000 tax-free per student from a 529 plan, which is a tax-advantaged program sponsored by states, state agencies, and educational institutions.
3. While your contributions to a 529 plan are not deductible, earnings grow free of federal income tax on withdrawals to pay for qualified school expenses.
- The Explosion In Real Retail Sales You Never Hear About
- Amid Signs Of Weakness, Fed Reverses Course; Stocks Rally
- Three Stories Affecting Your Wealth This Week
- Buried In The Fed's Financial Stability Report, A Potential Risk To Investors
- Forget Everything You Know About Inflation
- China Trade War Sparks Fear But Not Stock Losses
- Surprisingly Good Productivity, Jobs, Inflation And Trade News
- Stocks Break Record High On Economic Surprises
- U.S. Leading Indicators, Retail Sales, And Atlanta Fed Forecast Signal Strength
- S&P 500 Closes Near Record High Amid Growing Ebullience
- An Early Indication The Economy Is Stronger Than Expected
- A Spectacular Quarter For U.S. Stocks Just Ended
- Real Economy Strengthens, Yield Curve Inverts And Mueller Report Drops
- Despite Crises, Economic Fundamentals Are Strong
- How Misperceptions Spread And Cause Confusion On Money Matters
- Real Spending Power Grew Twice The Rate Of The Last Expansion
- Global Growth Forecast Slows, But U.S. Outlook Remains Stable
- How Long Does It Take To Be A Long-Term Investor?
- Five Observations About The CBO's New Long-Term Debt Forecast
- Fed Apology, Strong Job Growth Bolster Stocks
- Despite Grim Headlines, Economic Growth Is Intact
- Despite December Turbulence, Economy And Business Optimism Were Strong
- Latest Forecasts Show Economy Is Doing Okay
- A Poignant Moment In Financial History Sparks Stocks