Good Economic Surprises Happening Now
Published Friday, September 7, 2018 at: 7:00 AM EDT
Forward-looking data on the broad economy, along with new reports on employment and wages, indicate the U.S. economy is in the midst of an unexpected surge.
Managers at manufacturing companies responsible for purchasing reported orders were up in August, over July. The Institute of Supply Management, a trade group for professional purchasing managers at large companies, said its index of manufacturing order activity hit a 14-year high of 61.3%, up sharply from July's 58.1%.
The index is based on 10 components and the key one — the forward-looking new orders sub-index — hit 65.1%. After second quarter growth surged to 4.2%, the economy was expected to slow down. The new orders figure is the first confirmation a good surprise is under way.
- Despite Strong Economic News, Stocks Dropped This Past Week
- Stocks Closed At A Record High; What's Expected For The Rest of 2021?
- Jobs Situation Report Pushes Stocks A Fraction From All Time High
- Inflation Rate Doubled In Past Two Months
- Fed Signals It's Thinking About Starting To Talk About Tightening
- Expect Inflation To Make Investors Nervous Through 2021
- Stocks Closed At A Record, Ignoring A Bad Jobs Report
- Stocks Soared 5.2% In April; Now, For The Good News
- A Window Of Opportunity Is About To Close
- Retail Sales, Housing Starts, And Stocks Rocket Higher
- The Fed Is Not Braking The Boom Anytime Soon
- A Black Swan Event And Higher Taxes Persist As Financial Risks Amid The Boom
- What You Need To Know Right Now To Manage Your Wealth
- Economic Expectations Improved Almost Overnight
- Investors Beware: The Asset Valuation Paradigm Changed
- Fed Says It Will Stick To Its Plan, As Bond Yield Rises
- Amid Strong Crosscurrents, Stocks Sank 2.5% This Past Week
- A New Rover Landed On Mars And Stocks Closed Lower For The Week
- Ironically, Amazon Profits By Perpetuating Stock Bubble Myth
- Stocks Closed At A New Record High: Can The Party Last?
- Don’t Fall For It
- Housing Boomed Again In December
- The Bad And Good Financial News This Week
- Stocks Set New High Closing Price Amid Turbulence