Good Economic News Again
Published Friday, December 13, 2019 at: 7:00 AM EST
A strong November retail sales report, soaring business-owner confidence, and good news on the trade war with China this past week propelled the Standard & Poor's 500 to a record-breaking closing high.
The U.S. trade war with China, at worst, threatens to shave two-tenths of 1% of U.S. gross domestic product, according to research by J.P. Morgan. The damage caused by the trade war is not as costly to the economy as you would be led to believe from the headlines it has generated for months. However, the prospect of the world's two largest economic powers slugging it out for years is a gut punch to investor sentiment. That was just one piece of the good news this past week.
Small business owner optimism posted the largest month-over-month gain since May 2018, rising 2.3 points to 104.7 in November. Owners saying it is a good time to expand increased by 6 points, and those expecting better business conditions increased by 3 points, according to the National Federation of Independent Businesses. The NFIB's Uncertainty Index fell 6 points in November, its lowest reading since May 2018.
- Despite Strong Economic News, Stocks Dropped This Past Week
- Stocks Closed At A Record High; What's Expected For The Rest of 2021?
- Jobs Situation Report Pushes Stocks A Fraction From All Time High
- Inflation Rate Doubled In Past Two Months
- Fed Signals It's Thinking About Starting To Talk About Tightening
- Expect Inflation To Make Investors Nervous Through 2021
- Stocks Closed At A Record, Ignoring A Bad Jobs Report
- Stocks Soared 5.2% In April; Now, For The Good News
- A Window Of Opportunity Is About To Close
- Retail Sales, Housing Starts, And Stocks Rocket Higher
- The Fed Is Not Braking The Boom Anytime Soon
- A Black Swan Event And Higher Taxes Persist As Financial Risks Amid The Boom
- What You Need To Know Right Now To Manage Your Wealth
- Economic Expectations Improved Almost Overnight
- Investors Beware: The Asset Valuation Paradigm Changed
- Fed Says It Will Stick To Its Plan, As Bond Yield Rises
- Amid Strong Crosscurrents, Stocks Sank 2.5% This Past Week
- A New Rover Landed On Mars And Stocks Closed Lower For The Week
- Ironically, Amazon Profits By Perpetuating Stock Bubble Myth
- Stocks Closed At A New Record High: Can The Party Last?
- Don’t Fall For It
- Housing Boomed Again In December
- The Bad And Good Financial News This Week
- Stocks Set New High Closing Price Amid Turbulence