A Spectacular Year For Stocks
Published Friday, December 27, 2019 at: 7:00 AM EST
Stocks are poised to close the year near a record-high, up nearly 30%, with just one-and-a-half trading days left in 2019. As a spectacular year for stocks ends, it's wise to remember that the 2019 bull market repeatedly defied widespread worries all year long, and returns in 2019 were defined by the actions of the Federal Reserve.
A year ago, stocks were in the throes of a 19.8% drop. On December 19th, 2019, the Fed chair had announced a quarter-point hike in interest rates, which triggered a short-lived plunge that, after rounding, qualified as a bear market.
On January 4th, 2019 the nation's most powerful financial officer appeared at the American Economic Association meeting in Atlanta, flanked by his two most recent predecessors, and admitted the Fed made a mistake by raising rates.
- Despite Strong Economic News, Stocks Dropped This Past Week
- Stocks Closed At A Record High; What's Expected For The Rest of 2021?
- Jobs Situation Report Pushes Stocks A Fraction From All Time High
- Inflation Rate Doubled In Past Two Months
- Fed Signals It's Thinking About Starting To Talk About Tightening
- Expect Inflation To Make Investors Nervous Through 2021
- Stocks Closed At A Record, Ignoring A Bad Jobs Report
- Stocks Soared 5.2% In April; Now, For The Good News
- A Window Of Opportunity Is About To Close
- Retail Sales, Housing Starts, And Stocks Rocket Higher
- The Fed Is Not Braking The Boom Anytime Soon
- A Black Swan Event And Higher Taxes Persist As Financial Risks Amid The Boom
- What You Need To Know Right Now To Manage Your Wealth
- Economic Expectations Improved Almost Overnight
- Investors Beware: The Asset Valuation Paradigm Changed
- Fed Says It Will Stick To Its Plan, As Bond Yield Rises
- Amid Strong Crosscurrents, Stocks Sank 2.5% This Past Week
- A New Rover Landed On Mars And Stocks Closed Lower For The Week
- Ironically, Amazon Profits By Perpetuating Stock Bubble Myth
- Stocks Closed At A New Record High: Can The Party Last?
- Don’t Fall For It
- Housing Boomed Again In December
- The Bad And Good Financial News This Week
- Stocks Set New High Closing Price Amid Turbulence